One-on-one lessons with me are a way for you—with the guidance of a professional artist—to develop your technique. This is true whether you are a beginner or an already experienced painter. We can build rapport and tailor an approach that meets your needs and desires.
Lessons can be at my studio or in your home. We can begin discussing your goals as a painter and make arrangements for working together. Private lessons are a minimum of 4 hours and travelling to you is free of charge if you are located within 30 minutes from my studio. For more information, contact me by phone at 845-233-0082 or email.
These 3-hour weekly open studio classes are for students with a basic knowledge of oil painting who wish to further develop their skills with side-by-side mentoring. The minimum age to participate is 14 and there is a maximum of 4 students per session.
We’ll build a learning experience based on camaraderie and a shared purpose. I’ll lead and teach—but there is always the possibility of learning from other members of the group as we experience a coming together of like-minded souls.
Photo Realism is defined as the attempt to paint an image so the final results looks like a photo as opposed to Hyperrealism which is to paint so you can't tell the difference. It may sound intimidating but in reality it's not so bad. Painting from a photo takes patience and practice and my goal is to teach you my techniques so you can take the experience back to your studio with confidence. In these workshops, we’ll focus on painting a portrait in oil using both traditional and modern techniques.
I provide hands-on instruction, incorporating a wealth of tips and tricks, including:
• Briefly covering Adobe Photoshop and how to print a color reference.
• Drawing on a toned canvas—by either tracing or projection—and inking-in the lines.
• A review of color and mixing skin tones.
• A block-in of the first thin layer of color.
• Painting the portrait with subsequent thicker layers.
• Finalizing subtle details.
There are 2 workshops scheduled this year. More to come:
• They will be held in my studio in Milan, NY (near Rhinebeck).
• Times are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (with a one-hour lunch).
• Each class is limited to four students.
• Tuition is nonrefundable 14 days prior to beginning.
• Basic knowledge of oil painting is preferred.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 845-233-0082.
Supply List (Jerry's Artorama)
16x20 Deluxe Professional Oil Primed Linen Stretched Canvas Centurion (OP DLX) or equivalent grade
Winsor & Newton Artists Oil Colors:
Alizarin Crimson, Yellow Ochre, Cerulean Blue, Burnt Sienna, Raw umber, Titanium white, Ultramarine blue, and Ivory Black.
2 each of Winsor & Newton Monarch filbert brushes sizes 2-4
Winsor & Newton series 7 sable brush size 2
Palette knife, Glass or wood palette (no palette paper please), 2 small glass containers, Roll of blue shop towels, Turpenoid, Linseed Oil